Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Brightening Up for Spring Time

My bank balance took a hammering recently, this is partly due to Boots offering 3 for 2 on makeup and beauty products. Of course, I took full advantage of this offer as a way of brightening up my makeup selection ready for the Spring season which is supposedly approaching – I saw snow three days ago so I’m dubious.





The biggest splurge I made recently was Benefit’s new Most Glamorous Nudes ever from their covetable new World Famous Neutrals range. I justified this as a belated birthday gift to myself, I’m not sure how I’m going to justify the other two sets. I sampled this product when receiving a complimentary makeover at my local Benefit stand after purchasing High Beam (get it, that is all I have to say) and fell in love. As my first encounter with cream eyeshadow I was very pleased. This set comes with two cream shadows and four powders. It also comes with tips for creating ‘Daytime’ and ‘Playtime’ looks, both of which I love. I have always struggled with achieving the smokey, glamorous eye without making myself look like I’ve been punched but these gold-y, bronze colours do it perfectly. This is something of a spurge but I think you could easily use it every single day and be happy, except on those days when you want something extra special ;)


I have found *the* lip product for me. I have! At last! I’ve been hearing one or two people mention these Lip Butters and was intrigued as I’m not a fan of a heavily-pigmented, thick lipstick (except Rimmel’s Lasting Finish Matte Lipsticks, my shade is Kiss of Life and oh my do I love it, it makes me feel fierce). Anyway, I spent about fifteen minutes at the Revlon counter fighting with myself, trying to decide what shade to get. I finally settled on Tutti Frutti as I’m getting quite excited about Corals for this springtime. Five days later I was back and I also got Candy Apple. Both lipsticks look like quite heavily pigmented when in the bullet but when applied they soften to a lightly-pigmented balm which provides a beautifully subtle colour on the lips. Amazing!














As I said, I fell in love with the Benefit cream shadows and as a consequence was very much drawn to Maybelline’s Colour Tattoo cream shadows. I picked one up in On and on Bronze, which is quite similar to the Benefit colours but of course a lot less expensive so I can smudge a little on every day without having to feel guilty. This shadow is definitely long wearing. I’ve attached a picture here of it on the lid after about eight hours of wear and as you can see it’s lightly creased but still going strong. I swiped a light shimmer down the centre of the lid to accentuate the curve of my eyelid and of course dabbed a little white simmer along the brow-bone and inner corner.
 






Moving on. Admittedly, this is the first foundation I have ever bought which is ‘drugstore’. I have always been faithful to my Clinique and Bobbi Brown but this year I am going abroad a few times and was hesitant to think of carrying my Bobbi Brown Skin around too much. So, after hearing good things I took the plunge and picked up Bourgeois’s Healthy Mix Foundation. I love it. I have worn this several times now and at the end of the day my skin is still matte, evenly toned and smoothe. Though it pains me to say it, I find that this product glides over my dry patches a lot better than the Bobbi Brown. I cannot recommend this enough, amazing quality for the price I paid.





During my agonising time at the Revlon counter one of the products I swatched was the Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain. When I finally arrived home, hours later, through the rain, the only product still showing on my hand was this one. Of course, the Lip Butters wipe away easily because that is their nature. But I was incredibly impressed at just how ‘stainy’ this is, especially given how soft the crayon-like balm is. I finally picked up the shade Lovesick and have fallen in love. For me, a beautiful lip product is one that you can’t tell you’re wearing, and this is just that. The shades they have are beautiful. I would say this is one of my must-haves for Spring’s face.




My final treat to myself – 3 for 2, can’t say no – was Revlon’s ColorStay Nail Enamel in Marmalade. Admittedly, I haven’t tried this product yet so I can’t comment on the quality but I fell in love with the coral tone which picks up the darker undertones in my skin beautifully, so I’m hoping it will pair perfectly with the tan I hope to get this summer.




Since I mentioned it, here's a picture and a swatch of the Rimmel Matte Lipstick. I love this so much.








That’s all from me. As you can see, I went a little nuts recently but this long winter of shivering cold, wind and rain has left me pining for a pop of colour and a brightening lift. I am ecstatic to have discovered so many wonderful things recently.
This is me wearing the foundation and Lip Stain
As a final note, head on over to YouTube to experience the wonder that is EssieButton. She has instantly become my Guru and was the original source for my desire for many of these products.




2 comments:

  1. You are going to make me a poor woman, Sourbutts... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can join the club of 'people Lauren Sourbutts has made poor'. So far it's just me and my parents haha xx

    ReplyDelete